Thursday, January 16, 2014

Go To Bed You Knuckle Head!!

First week back at it and I feel ok. Not great, just ok. 

                                                Sun - 4.6 mile easy run + arm work
                                                Mon - 12 mile bike (trainer)
                                                Tues - 4 mile race pace run + core work
                                                Wed - off (mental rest day while I can still have them)
                                                Tonight - 20 mile bike (trainer)
     
Training wise I have been pretty much on point and nutrition has been going relatively well. What I seem to be neglecting though is SLEEP! I'm a natural night owl - always have been. So the idea of going to bed before 11pm is just crazy, insane to me! Even during training season I still find it a struggle to fall asleep at a decent hour.

Monday starts up half iron training though and consistent 2 a day workouts. That said, this is what my average WORK day will start to look like - people are always asking me where I fit in the time to do what I do.......it's not pretty...


4am - wake up and head to the pool
4:30 - 6 - swim workout
6:15 - 7:15 - get ready for the day/breakfast
7:15 - drop the Kid off for school (bus stop)
7:15 - commute to work
8-5 - Work. Same schedule every day
12 - Lunch, usually at my desk 
5-5:45 - commute home
6-7 (M,W,F) - Swim practice for the Kid (which I always attend and will continue to make it priority)
7:30 - Dinner
8:30 - second workout (run/bike)
9:30 - 10:30pm shower and decompress before bed.


It's pretty much non-stop. And see that little window of time between 9:30 - 10:30? That's where the night owl in me comes to life....the act of going to bed only an hour after I've worked out is near impossible for me. But how do you get in the proper amount of sleep (which I know is a vital ingredient for health and overall training success) when your mind and body are still running a mile a minute? 

Finding that balance will prove to be my biggest challenge this season. Adjustments to the training schedule, carving out time to get in a run at lunch., etc....lots of things to consider. What's really scaring me though is the commitment level for IRONMAN. At least double what I'll be doing this year (yikes!!).....But hey, if fellow triathletes with multiple young children and full time jobs can somehow manage to get their workouts in, then I really have nothing to complain about. So suck it up, buttercup!

In the meantime, I'll just keep focusing on making sleep a priority this season and fret about IRONMAN when the time comes.....

As a wise person once said....


(Found this last night while I was up typing away at 11:30pm!!)



No comments: