Monday, March 31, 2014

IM Boise 70.3 Week 10 - Training Recap


We've reached week 10 folks - halfway through my training plan for Boise!! The hip issue has definitely made things a bit frustrating and I feel like I've taken two steps back....but knowing the issue is a temporary one, I've been trying to keep a positive outlook and focus on what I can do right now.

Recap:

Monday - Planned: 1:30 hour bike
                 Actual: 1:30 hour bike (trainer)

All good here - nothing exciting to speak of.


Tuesday - Planned: 4000 yd swim + 12 mile run
                 Actual: 3800 yd swim + 1:45 hour elliptical

No run? No problem - 1:45 elliptical.....O.M.G. somebody shoot me if I ever have to do that again. So glad it's over.

Also took Ben (bike) into my local Tri shop for a tune and scheduled my Retul bike fitting to coincide with pick up. More on that later - let's just say that it was the best $$$ I have spent on the sport yet!


Wednesday - Planned: 1:30 bike
                     Actual: 1:30 bike (stationary - gross!)

This was the day I forced myself into PT over the lunch hour for my hip. So very thankful I did - tight ilispoas was the diagnosis with a script for lots of stretching, icing and massage. I also won't be able to do much in the form of running for the next few weeks -  LPT has me on a 3:1 run/walk for a max of 30 mins routine until I am back to 100%.

With my bike in the shop, I made due on the gym's stationary bike this night. It's been years since I've been on one of those things and man alive, I don't know how people do it! I kept having to clench my butt to keep from sliding forward and eventually off the seat (which was gigantic by the way). In turn I spent over an hour fighting a ton of booty cramps - just about the most uncomfortable 1:45 hours of my life. Never thought I'd see the day that I would prefer a tiny hard road bike saddle over a large cushy seat.


Thursday - Planned: 3000 yd swim + 6 mile run
                  Actual: 3000 yd swim + 30 min run/walk + 30 min weights

Swim felt good - glad to have a shorter distance workout in the mix.

This was also the first day of my run/walk - 30 mins of run for 3 and walk for 1. Happy to report that it went pretty good! I could definitely feel where the tightness was lingering but in no way was it that sharp jabbing pain that I felt on last week's run. Hooray - seems like I am right on track! Really wanted to push the envelope and do another 30 minutes but I practiced a bit of self control and instead did some strength work on my arms and core.


Friday - Planned: 3 hour bike
              Actual:  Rest Day with a little stretching/rolling mixed in

So with my bike still in the shop and that horrendous experience from Wednesday's stationary still on the brain, I decided to take a rest day instead. Stretch, couch and wine and P time. Perfect "recovery day". :) Oh, and I had a salon appointment that afternoon too - hallelujah this gal is a blonde again! Funny how something like a quick color and cut can really brighten your spirits.


Saturday - Planned: 2.5 hour brick (2 hour bike + immediate 50 min run)
                  Actual: 2 hour Retul bike fitting + the Opera!

Ok, so the 2 hours I spent at my bike fitting really doesn't count towards my planned brick but without a bike to ride in the AM, I will count it as such this one time. :) What exactly is a "Retul" fitting, you ask? I've got a whole separate post to address this - but let me tell you that it is one of the BEST things you can do for yourself.

Ooooo, and let's not forget the Opera......


That's right, I'm an Opera loving triathlete - crazy combo isn't it?! I wouldn't have it any other way!


Sunday - Planned: 3800 yd swim
               Actual: 3800 yd swim


TOTAL:
Swim - 10,600 yards (that's 6 miles ya'll)
Bike - 5 hours
Run - 2:5 Run/walk/elliptical
Other - 30 min strength


And just like that another week down and 10 more to go! Sh*# is starting to get real. I've got my first tri of the season this Saturday and I'm nervous to see where everything stands. So curious as to how the work I've put in so far this year will benefit my short distance. This week calls for 14:30 hours of training so no true tapering for Saturday's race. As it's just a Sprint, coach Meredith and Brett say it should treat it just like any other brick workout and nothing more. That would have sounded insane to me two years ago....love seeing how much I've progressed over these last few years and how much stronger I've become!!







How many weeks left until your "A" race?
Tips for biking in the rain?





No comments: